Do you have plans to buy a diamond ring? If so, you should prepare yourself for the tough task ahead. Diamond jewelry is very valuable and to get good value for money, you must have all the right information. What’s more, you have to learn about the 4Cs, ring styles, settings and so much more. While there are many diamond ring styles in the market, a solitaire ring is popular for many good reasons. This type of ring has only one diamond at the center. If this is your first time buying this type of ring, there is a lot you need to know to make the right decision.
Check out here why you should buy diamond solitaire rings and factors to consider while purchasing it for someone special.
Why a Solitaire Diamond Ring?
If you are in the market for a diamond ring, you will have come across a plethora of styles. You may then wonder why the solitaire diamond ring remains the first choice among consumers. Here are some reasons for the popularity of this ring design:
- Timeless style and appearance: The solitaire is the most traditional design when it comes to diamond rings. If you want a classic but elegant look that never goes out style, this is the type of ring to buy.
- Versatility: The ring style can match any personality, and you do not have to do a lot of research on the type, size or shape of metal.
- Affordability: An elegant diamond ring style that is also affordable. A small stone and a minimal amount of precious metal can work while designing this type of ring.
It is a natural choice if you want a brilliant diamond ring that oozes class and timeless beauty.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Solitaire Diamond Ring
Now that you appreciate the advantages of the solitaire diamond ring, there are some crucial factors you need to consider to buy the unique diamond ring. Let us have a look:
Research and Pick the Right Diamond
The focal point on a solitaire diamond ring is the center stone. For this reason, you have to take more time while selecting the center stone. The 4Cs of diamond quality come in handy here:
- Color: Diamond color grade goes from D TO Z with D being colorless and Z being a stone with obvious yellow hues. Colorless diamonds are rare and very expensive. You should consider buying a diamond between graded H, I or J.
- Cut: The cut of a diamond is the most crucial aspect of diamond quality you need to consider as it determines the sparkle of the stone. Grading starts from poor to excellent. The best stone should have a grade of “good”, “Very Good” or “Excellent.”
- Clarity: In most cases, this aspect is of least importance to the quality of a diamond as it a grading of the imperfections in a stone. The highest clarity grade is FL (Flawless) to IF (Internally Flawless). However, most flaws are not obvious to the naked eye.
- Carat weight: determines the mass of a diamond. Carat weight determines the size of the stone.
- Choose the diamond shape: You need to decide on the shape of your diamond. Your choice would depend on your style and preference or the purpose of the ring you wish to have. Popular shapes/cuts include round cut diamonds (most popular), princess cut diamonds (ideal for fancy diamonds), oval diamonds, marquise cut diamonds, pear-shaped diamonds, cushion cut diamonds, emerald cut diamonds, heart-shaped diamonds, and Asscher cut diamonds.
Now that you have picked the right diamond, you need to start thinking about the overall look of the ring. The look depends on the setting you pick. The setting determines how the center diamond will rest on the ring. Popular types of settings include prong setting (using prongs to hold the stone) and Bezel settings (holding the diamond using a metal band).
The bezel setting offers more security for precious stones. However, it hides most of the surface of the stone, thus reducing the beauty of the diamond. Prong setting allows the diamond’s beauty to radiate. However, this setting is delicate and there is a risk that the precious stone can fall out.
There are other popular styles such as the Tiffany setting, tension setting, halo setting, cathedral setting and flush setting among others. All these are ideal for a solitaire diamond ring.
Ring Metal Type
The metal you choose for your diamond solitaire ring is important as it determines the durability of the ring, comfort, and ease of maintenance. The most popular metals to choose from are yellow gold for its warm color, platinum for its durability, silver for its brilliance, palladium for its durability as well as beauty, and even titanium for its hardness.
All these metals work perfectly with a diamond solitaire ring. You need to ensure that the metal you pick is hypoallergenic and does not affect the skin. It should also be easy to care for without the need for any special attention and must withstand exposure to the elements. Choosing yellow gold for your diamond ring is a perfect idea if the color of the center stone is not perfect. The yellow also contrasts perfectly with the brilliance of the center diamond to make the ring look glamorous.
If you plan to buy cheap engagement rings, you should start with the solitaire style. It is a timeless design that is ideal for a ring for any occasion. Such rings are affordable, and with these tips, you can now buy the ideal solitaire diamond ring for that special person in your life.